Monday, April 19, 2010

Beginning the journey into the X10

I'd like to document my xperience with my Sony Ericsson Xperia X10... But how can that be easily accomplished?

This was my first hurdle.  How do I document the screen shots?

I quickly found a way (although a sort of nerdy way), via the Android software developer kit (SDK):
Written walk through
Video walk trough on YouTube
It requires a little more of the user, because it needs other tools installed before the Android SDK can be used (jdk 5 or 6 is one requirement I did not realize until later in the process). But it is not too complicated. I managed, so can you.

Alternatively, there are some applications for the Android that will do the job too:
Screenshot (Android) 1.0
Koush's Screenshot app
They all require root access to the X10 - and how to do this on the X10 seems to not yet be public knowledge.

I guess the method preferred will depend on what is needed. I don't like the idea of installing too much "crap" on my phone, but see the possibilities in being able to make a screenshot as it happens, on the train or elsewhere, miles from the nearest PC connection.

For now I'll settle for the Android SDK.
The SDK is not the only thing I need, though.

A version of the Java Development Kit (JDK for short) is needed... I feel I had a lot of benefits installing the eclipse development environment as well, since it made it easier to install the Android platforms Windows drivers etc - but if you are not afraid to use a command prompt, you can do without eclipse.

The JDK is easy to install - and so is eclipse and Android SDK. Just follow the links I mentioned in the beginning - or use my personal favorite here. It worked perfectly for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment